Saturday, August 20, 2016

CI/TPRS Lessons and Ideas

I will continuously update this page with new units that were very successful for me in all my Spanish classes. Here will be pictures, general highlights, and things I would change for next time. Most of the rubrics and assignment sheet will be posted on TpT since my school does not do Google Drive and I have no desire to try to figure it out right now (when life slows down I will... life does slow down, right?!).

Fast Finishers

The Pobre Ana Apples to Apples listed below is still a favorite for all my students at all levels.

UNO, Phase 10, Skip Bo- I keep all these card games in my closet. I typed out key words and phrases in Spanish so they can play 100% in Spanish. I even started including "trash talk" on the cards (rapido nino, ya lo tengo, tomalo). **Storage Solution: I bought the pencil bags with a clear view window and three-hole punched "rings". I put the cards and the instructions in the bag to keep the boxed from being destroyed. I hang them up on the door of my closet on Command hooks so they don't get shoved to the back of the door.

Sub plans


Non-level specific

Dia de los muertos-  Students create an ofrenda before Dia de los muertos. This link is to the project, two editable rubrics, and what I do in my class, with pictures. It does not include the Dia de los muertos lesson. I have used the TeachersDiscovery DVD, YouTube videos, and story asking in class to really help students understand (comparing Memorial Day, etc).

Spanish 1

Pobre Ana Apples to Apples- Being a CI/TPRS teacher can seem a little challenging when you need the lower levels to... self propel for while. Whether it's because you lost your voice, you need to 1:1 conference with students about their progress, or you need to support some of your slower processors with small group focus; it is hard to not just handover a worksheet to keep others busy. My solution was to make a CI friendly game. It has key phrases, characters, and locations from the book and high frequency vocab. I also threw in some school teachers and local places the kids know about. The document is editable to add your own and change it to your local stuff. The best part is that I keep these in a zip-up pencil bag with a clear view window and my fast finishers LOVE playing this at all levels. (Print the cards with apples- more red than green- on cardstock and then run them the other way through the copier again to print words and phrases.)

Spanish 2

MadLibs en espanol- I bought some cheap MadLibs books on clearance and make them comprehensible and in Spanish. I sometimes change nouns to fit with my units and structures. I rotate them out every quarter. Kids love them and enjoy making comic strips to show their comprehension. 

Spanish 3


Spanish 4

Presidential candidate tracker- It's election season, in case no one told you. This long-term project is in English is designed to have your students engage with an election many of them can vote in. They pick a Spanish class-related topic (immigration is the easiest), and follow voting records, public released statements, and news stories to draw their conclusion on what they consider "the candidate to vote for". This is not in TL but it engages deeper thinking skills and real-life application in a way we can't do in the TL at this level.

No comments:

Post a Comment