Monday, August 1, 2016

Grade Like You Mean It: Implementing Proficiency Based Grading

I am pretty lucky in my small school district; I have no set grading categories or requirements outside of the standard 10% grading scale (90-100% is an A). I have been in larger districts with set grading policies, even down to the structure of the grade book. I have worked with standards based grading (which I like... more later on that), weighted grading and grading by points. This post will document why I am changing my grade book and what it will look like as a TPRS/CI teacher.

Identifying and Defining "Proficiency"

For new teachers, ACTFL is the "governing body" of world language teaching. ACTFL does not actually govern, but supports us like the government is supposed to. They provide an array of resources, and the most applicable part to our job as classroom teachers; standards.

Here in Iowa, we have no standards on a state level for world languages. All school districts are required to offer four consecutive years of one world language for high school credit. Great for job security, but lacking in the support and funding that other subjects receive (there is good and bad to all of it). However, we have a great local language association (IWLA) that is working to promote not only unity among world language teachers, but also on language standards and the seal of biliteracy.

The standards adopted by the IWLA are based on the ACTFL standards but paired down and easier to apply in the classroom without being over whelmed (in my opinion). These are teacher-friendly and student-friendly with handy "I can" statements.

Purpose Behind Change

I am on the standards-based grading train; grades should communicate mastery of skill and competency.

Previously, my grade book  was point-based. It naturally weighted quizzes and tests higher. However, if I had a few lazy kids that missed multiple 5 point assignments but mastered the skills on the test, sometimes they had a D and couldn't continue on to the next semester of Spanish. I also looked at the grade book from the student view and it was all a list; no clear focus on what the struggle points were. That limited student self-reflection on their progress in class.

At a previous district, they weighted the 5 C's (ACTFL) equally at 20% of the final grade. That didn't work well in lower levels because they may only have a few oral exercises and that could seriously impact their grade; even if they were really mastering reading and listening as many TPRS classrooms look like in the first year.

I want my students to see their grades, and know it represents their progress in Spanish language. I want them to know where their strengths are and what they can work on.

My New Grade Book

This year I will break my grade book up into three sections based on the IWLA standards: Interpersonal Communication, Interpretive Communication, and Presentational Communication.

I am going to still operate in a points system that varies based on the level. Caution: When using a points-based system, you have to be careful to not "dilute" their grades with fluff and practice. If their grade is mostly made up of mini formative assessments (homework, in-class assignments, participation), then their grades can't communicate master of content, only how must "doing" they did. Yes, turning things in on time, following directions, and being engaged are life skills, but at 13 should failure to do homework really sink their grades if they are consistently hitting high marks on summative assessments? That is a personal question you have to balance for yourself or do what the district tells you to.

Student/Parent View

I learned this last year that the student/parent view of the online grade book doesn't look too different from the teacher side. I will be dividing my grades by the three categories above. Within each category, I will label the grade by type (homework, participation, quiz, project, or test) and then give points earned.

Assigning Points

My homework used to be 5 points, all or nothing. This year it will be 2 points; done and one time 2, done and late 1, not submitted 0. This will not significantly impact their grades, but will show them and their parents if they are completing all the available learning opportunities; which sometimes clarifies why they are not progressing in class. I should clarify that "homework" is typically in-class work they may need to finish outside of class if they did not finish. We have block scheduling and a "seminar" study period, so I am okay with students needing to continue or put finishing touches on work outside of class. I very rarely ever assign content to be completed outside of class; 1) they cheat, 2) I don't want them to form bad habits if doing something incorrectly, and 3) they cheat.  I do give choice work at a rate of 2 per quarter and 25 points each. This helps cushion their grade a bit and demonstrates clear connections between class and the real world.

Participation really only shows up when they start to disengage. Usually 1 or 5 points. They receive credit for staying in Spanish during centers, or really going for it during Muevete Miercoles, or answering enthusiastically during coral responses.

Quizzes are around 25 points in my class. They take the 100 Most Commonly Used Spanish words 25 words at a time. They can study for this outside of class and I have seen that it has helped when reading novels; they fill in the "little" words quickly. Reading quizzes are about 10 points each and frequent in the beginning so I can catch kids that are falling behind quickly (and adjust my pace).

Tests are typically around worth 100 points and normally have 105 points possible. I expect them to make mistakes at this point so it gives them wiggle room without fear of "retribution". I don't know why, but their scores go up compared to classes without the extra 5 points but still the same test.

Projects are long-term and normally between 150-200 points. This includes check point scores. I give a 10% deduction from credit earned, per day, for late projects.

Clear Communication is in the Label

Clearly labeling the type of assignment and what the assignment is will help you with absentees and over vigilant parents. Labeling "Quiz: class story 1" is not helpful. Labeling "Quiz: In-class Victoria gustar" is very helpful. You know the student missed the story the class developed about Victoria that focused on the "gustar" structures. You know what Johnny needs to work on to build that skill or make-up the 10 point comprehension quiz.

I also put large assignments in ahead of time, no point value until later. This lets parents and students know that they need to be working. "Novella Title: Final Project in 2 weeks" is a great space label.

No comments:

Post a Comment